Marvin P. Lyon, Jr. Award for Leadership and Community Service
This award ($1,000) recognizes African American and Hispanic males who have a strong record of leadership and community service in their high school or local community. This award honors the late Marvin P. Lyon Jr. who was committed to community service and leadership development as a former president of our chapter and founder of the Alpha Esquires. Marvin graduated from Longmeadow High School (1986), University of Pennsylvania (1990), and Western New England College Law School, (2000).
Applicant must be a graduating senior from a high school in Western Massachusetts and plan to enroll in a 4 year college or university.
• Have held leadership positions in a school governance organization or other school related or community organizations
• Regularly participate in community service projects
• Must serve as a role model to increase student involvement in community service
• Have a successful interview with scholarship committee.
Frank Buntin Award for Civic Engagement and Social Justice
This award ($1,000) recognizes African American and Hispanic males who are active in their community while promoting social justice and equality through collective community action, community awareness campaigns, and community engagement. This award honors the distinguished career of one of our charter members. Frank Buntin is a former president of the Springfield NAACP chapter and has advised several mayoral and gubernatorial campaigns as an advocate for equitable social policy and policy reform.
Applicant must be a graduating senior from a high school in Western Massachusetts and plan to enroll into a 4 year college or university.
• Create, encourage, or be involved in activities that promote social and economic justice, peace, and racial and cultural harmony.
• Be actively involved and dedicated to volunteer community service and advocacy, especially service to the poor, the oppressed and marginalized.
• Provide leadership in the quest for non-violent means to promote progressive change for the betterment of humanity and the world.
• Have a successful interview with scholarship committee